Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Techy Time-Out?

Smart phones, e-readers, tablets....what's next? I sit here reading about the newest edition to the tech world...the upcoming BlackBerry PlayBook, and I can't help but think..."iWant".  I certainly don't need the shiny new tablet.  But in a world where technology rules, it's almost impossible to get away with not having some kind of tech toy.  I myself have an iPhone and e-reader.  I have been able to resist getting much more solely because of the costs associated with these new toys.  We're addicted to it, dependent on it.  Why learn how to read a map if someone else has come up with a way to triangulate your position and give you directions via computer voices, that can range from British hottie to Homer Simpson?  

It's all happened so fast, a blink of an eye in the lifetime of the Earth.  I remember the first mobile phone.  It had a battery pack bigger than my head.  I remember my first laptop that I played Wheel of Fortune on.  It was bigger than a standard size brief case.  I remember my dad's video camera.  Now I can take videos with something that fits in the palm of my hand, and there are smaller options too.  I'm not that old, so if you think about it...we've come a long way in a short amount of time. They said we'd have hover cars by now, and somewhere there exists a prototype I'm sure.  Now I'm waiting for the invention of teleportation, I can't wait to be able to be 'beamed' somewhere.


Even me using this computer to write this entry is using technology.  Can I survive without using it? Can I survive without my phone...my lifeline to the rest of the world?  Do I want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment