Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Office sweaters, coffee, and cough drops

Not knowing what time I actually entered the dreamworld last night, based on how I'm lethargic and mostly incognizant this morning, only leads me to assume one of two things.  Either I didn't fall asleep until after 11pm or somehow I managed to suspend myself in a limbo like state between my two conscious minds for 7 hrs.  Considering I was actually in bed at 9:30, lights out at 10, I cannot be sure which situation is true.  All I currently am aware of is that I would very much like a nap already.  

One of the annoying things about work is how the indoor temperature always seems to hover around 72°F.  Which, for me, is perfect for bedtime in the summer.  Give me a nice big fluffy comforter and I'm down for the count.  Alas, this is not the place for sleeping.  But neither is it the place to freeze while I sit at my station working.  So I have a permanent sweater designated for my cubicle. It's not the nicest sweater, a knit light brown, but it works.  Sometimes too well, especially on days like today when I just really need some more sleep, since it induces the hibernation instinct to curl up and pass out.    Most days I try not to wear it, and when the bosses are out of town we, as in..the women..., sneak around and raise the temperature to 74-75°F.  If  you want to know how 2 degrees makes a difference, try sitting under the vent for a whole day and see how much less the cooled air hits you on the back.


One of the nice things about work is free coffee.  And sodas but the coffee is what I'm lookin' at now.  It's not a high quality coffee, but it's pretty good.  I never used to like coffee, but ever since I started having to wake up at 6am and now 5:30 or earlier because of the dogs, it's grown on me.  I've been trying to avoid drinking coffee every day.  A cup of coffee might be healthy for you but the cream and sugar I add to combat the bitterness is probably not.  Stick to tea and honey. 


The case of the sleepies could also be caused by an impending illness.  I've had my cup of coffee for the day and still I feel like sleeping.  Usually by now, caffeine's effects have already started to affect me.  I seriously hope it's not because I'm getting sick.  I've been fighting off my husbands germs for a week now...and whatever germs my father in law brought with him from Lexington.  My efforts seem futile it seems, as I find myself coughing and holding back sniffles.  Well, hopefully it at least holds off until after my dinner party tonight...wouldn't want to be feeding my guests germs.  And when I say "party" I mean my 2 best friends coming over so at least it's not a crowd.   But look for The Things I Eat Chapter 2, which in editing will be changed from Pork Chops and Guac to whatever I end up cooking tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment