Thursday, September 23, 2010

Falling off the anger wagon...

I know, I know, I said I am removing the phrase 'I hate it when..." from my vocabulary and every day speech but you know what...today, I need it.

I hate annoying sales calls. I like to think I make things pretty damn clear when I say "I'm not interested".  Sometimes, I'll be nice and let them go through their entire spiels before letting them down easy.  But how many times does a person have to say NO THANK YOU before getting pissed off?  You can say all you want but I'm totally not listening.  Eventually, I will hang up on you.  It depends on my mood on whether or not I warn you before doing so.  Sometimes I will use misdirection especially if the call is not directed for me in the first place.   It's my nice way of saying SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE.   Please do not think you can get to me, because you will invariably lose.  One call I remember telling the infuriating woman that I will hang up on her if she does not shut up...3 times, then because I could I tapped the receiver on the counter several times to make a loud annoying noise and hung up on her.   I do not feel any kind of remorse for that.  I would tell any other person that was inappropriate behavior but I very kindly told her multiple times and still she kept at it.  Ok, so I have a bit of a temper.  Who doesn't?


So what brings on this rant of my hatred of telemarketers? Oh, the fact that I had to field yet another one at work.  My department at work has our own phone number, which I never give out because I never want to answer the phones, my boss never gives out because its not my job to answer the phones, and no one else here even knows it.  Every once in a while a call will come in to our engineering phone line, and I have to answer it...99.9% of the phone calls I've taken are unwanted.  The only time it ever was someone 'important' was the most random thing.  

Anyway, this guy originally dialed the correct number for the main office and asked to speak to one of my 'engineering' co-workers who promptly asked for it to be sent to voicemail seeing as the name was totally unrecognizable and he didn't want to deal with it at the time.   But because the telemarketer got his voicemail, he hit 0 expecting to be bounced back to the receptionist.  But to my horror, it turns out that when someone does that in the engineering department, it gets bounced back to ME.  FML.  So I'm stuck listening to his spiel because I mistakenly confirmed I was in the same department...well not mistakenly, since he sits 3 feet away, but unfortunately for sure.  So since I'm not sure if this was something my co-worker was looking for at any time, I play nice and misdirect.  "You can email John all the information" I say, but this dude will not shut up.  I don't care about some project management program, we already have one...that barely gets used.  Why would they want to spend money on another one?  I'm getting visibly agitated listening to this guy.  I mean, after I got off the call, my boss was laughing because he watched me hold the receiver away from my ear as I sneered at it hoping the man on the other end would mentally feel the ice from my glare.  


But in some way, I'm less mad about the telemarketer than the fact that what PROBABLY happened was the receptionist up front after being told to put the caller into John's voicemail didn't tell the guy that John was unavailable and if he'd like to be put into his voicemail.  Instead she probably just threw him into the voicemail system without warning the guy who expected to talk to a person.  Which brings me to yet another thing I hate....


I hate when the receptionist answers the phone and while transferring the call to me will occasionally just throw it over to me without warning.  MOST of the time she will say who is calling before transferring the call...so I will pick up the phone seeing it's her extension calling me and greet her fairly casually.  This morning was one of those times she threw the call without saying a word.   Which resulted in me embarrassing myself with a bright cheery 'Heeeyyy' on the phone as a greeting.  Luckily, the person calling was a woman I have frequently spoken to in a casual manner.  Even luckier I didn't answer with "Hey biatch"... I mean, what if it's someone I don't want to talk to at the moment? What if I wanted this person to be put in my voicemail instead because I'm busy with something? 


Agh...TESSA SMASH...........



OK, much better.  Breathe in, Breathe out.  Back to the zen state I was in previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment