Monday, January 31, 2011

There are no stupid questions?

I remember in school practically every teacher on the first day encouraged class participation, announcing "There are no stupid questions".  As the years went on I started adding, "just stupid people" in my head.  Then one semester, I had this awesome professor who started off the semester by saying, yes, there are in fact stupid questions, and backed up this statement with his own personal story.  It was raining, and he unfortunately hit a woman in a crosswalk.  He jumped out and asked "Are you OK?".  He stood up in front of the class and smacked himself on the forehead continuing with, "of course she's not ok, idiot. you just hit her!"  That earned him a round of chuckles from the class, and definitely some extra respect.  Everyone knows that at some point or another they ask a stupid question, or get asked a stupid question. Don't lie.


Most of the time, a question is just phrased in a stupid way.  The intention of the inquiry is generally apparent and regardless of the actual words you still understand what the real question is.  Though sometimes, I can't help but balk at those people who still chose to phrase their questions in such a way that I can't help but shake my head.  If I were to take these questions literally, I would have many enemies considering my reply would be very sarcastic and berating.  For instance, my most recent e-mail from a certain contractor who just gets my hackles up every time he comes into the office...a simple one sentence email:
Hi,
What are we going to do about the blizzard?
Kelly 
Oh. My. Gobstoppers.  Of course, I understand the underlying question to be "Is my schedule going to change because of the weather?"  Yes, he works outside.  Yes, a blizzard is coming to town in the next 2-3 days.  Yes, if there's a blizzard then we'll have to reschedule some of the work.  And maybe it's only because this particular person gets on my nerves that I'm picking on him here...but honestly?  My initial reaction was..."Well Mr. P, as I am not God, I can't do jack about the blizzard. What's the problem here?"  I think the problem I have with him is he asks these kinds of questions and complains about things I cannot change almost every time I speak with him.  I swear, the majority of my responses have been to shrug and say "I have no power to change that, but I'll speak to the bosses to see what we can do."

Naturally, I tend to be nicer in person and then rant about the situation to my friends, the husband, and anyone else crazy enough to listen.  And...naturally, I never mention the times I reflect on my own stupidity, though I do have plenty of my own face smacking "doh!" moments....the difference is...I eventually realize I'm being stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment