Tuesday, November 23, 2010

'Tis the Season to give thanks...for office closings and other things.

Cool thing about this office...we close for the holidays.  Bad thing about closing for the holidays...we're required to use PTO.  Oh, I suppose I could just not get paid for those days, but what's the point in that?  Good thing I get 15 PTO days every year.

Now, I've only been here for 3 holiday seasons so far, but it usually works out to only having to take 3-4 PTO between Thanksgiving and New Years.  Unfortunately, this year the way Christmas and New Years fall on the weekend, I get kind of screwed and have to take 5 PTO days.  I haven't been keeping diligent track of my PTO this year, but by rough estimate, I think I've used up my quota.  Between a few long weekends here and there, plus sick days, adding all that up on my fingers...eh, c'est la vie. I can't clock time regardless since business is closed for the whole week between Christmas and New Years. Might as well enjoy that time off, paid or no.

It's almost Thanksgiving, and I have bought a total of 2 presents for Christmas.  I'm falling behind here.  I fully intend to take advantage of any deals this weekend.  Now, I'm not one to partake in the frenzy that is Black Friday typically since it involves large murderous mobs of psycho soccer moms and thrifty old ladies, so I don't imagine I will be willing to change that this year.  But, luckily I've heard of a few online deals...plus there's always Cyber Monday. 

In keeping the spirit of the holidays, (and hell yes, I am and have been playing Christmas music for a couple weeks now) it's time to note all of the things I am alive and well enough to thank God for all the blessings in my life.

1.  Family and Friends.  Yes, this lumps everyone from my husband to my niece and even my closest friends.  Though I may be thoroughly annoyed at times, I think on times when each and every one of my close friends and family has brought smiles to my face, laughter to my heart, wisdom to my consciousness, acceptance to my failures, support to my weaknesses, and food to my belly, and I could not feel more loved than I do today.

2.  My job.  It sounds so cliche to be thankful for having my job, but considering too many of my peers have gone too long without work, I find it appropriate this year.  No matter how much I complain about working here, I have it better than most.  That is something to be thankful for.

3. My home.  Do not mistake this for a materialistic ideal.  A house is material, a home is a symbol.  I'm thankful to have a home of my own, the feeling of security and the love that surrounds those I care for within.

4. Dog parks.  For without these, I would have a raging 9 month old furniture eater.

5. The Old Fart and The Puppy.  Bless the old man's young heart that even in old age and arthritic bones will still come greet me with some doggy love and only bites me when he's too scared.  Bless the 9 month old furniture eater who follows me around the house like a baby duck and his soft ears and happy heart.  Bless both their cute adorable little faces.

6. Sunshine.  To remind me today only happens once.

7. Shoes.  One of my many vices.  One of the many accessories of function and fashion, and it comes in infinite varieties.  What is an accessory but functional fashion?

8. Iced Tea.  Because sometimes drinking water is too boring.

9. Thanksgiving/Christmas Night movies with the cousins.  One year we decided to go see whatever movie was opening on Christmas night, now we just go watch a movie together after we've had our fill of food and holiday cheer.  Hard to keep up with the tradition now that we share holidays, but a great tradition to keep to spend some quality time with family.

10.  Potlucks.  This goes without saying.  I love food, I'm thankful that I often have a bounty of food at my disposal.  I enjoy the company of friends and I enjoy cooking for my friends.  Thanksgiving has become a holiday of feasts for not just one day a year, but an entire weekend of feasting.  Potlucks bring together food and friends, sharing our favorite recipes and having fun with people you care about.  That's something to be thankful for.

There is so much to be thankful for this year, and always, and it's good to remember those things.  I may bitch and moan about a lot of things and I may have the most words to say when I'm in a bad mood, but to get out of a funk, the best way to do that is to lighten the heart by remembering and being grateful for the wonderful things in life.  Life being one of the greatest blessings of all. 

Thank you Lord for the happiness in my life, for the gift of love, and help me to share that love with those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment