Friday, November 5, 2010

My Furry Children

Oh my furry children...

I think maybe it's time to kick Kona out of my bed.  This is the second night in a row he's woken me up by kicking me.  Both nights I was too out of it to determine if he was awake and just restless or lost in a fabulous dream where he's running around chasing rabbits. It's now impinging on my REM cycles.  He used to fit just perfectly at my feet but now is encroaching on my space.  Getting too big my dear...you may be the cutest puppy in the world but at 70 lbs I think you need your own bed now. Too bad we spoiled you, now we have to train you to not sleep in our bed.  I'm sorry, but mommy needs sleep.

Old Man Hunter and 3 Month Kona
Old Man Hunter and 5 Month Kona
Old Man Hunter and 8 Month Kona





Looking at Kona now vs when we first got him 5 months ago, yeah, he is one large puppy. And if we thought Hunter was a grumpy old man before we got Kona, he is one ornery old bastard now.  Poor Hunter at 13 going on 14 years is arthritic and in the early stages of canine fecal incontinence.  Yesterday, when this last picture was taken, that biscuit in his mouth that he walked around with teasing Kona with for 20 mins before eating, when he finally got around to eating it he decided it was time to poop.  I was watching him eat his biscuit, which he does so painfully slow in order to torture Kona in my opinion, and saw him lift his tail in preparation to just drop one right there in the middle of the hallway.  As I ran to stop him and throw him outside, he managed to squeeze one out....right on my foot. GROSS.

Hunter is so grumpy towards Kona that he'll growl and bark at him when he's in the same general area and even when Kona is in the other room, not paying attention to him.  It's come to the point that we quarantine Hunter to his own space for a while, otherwise he's pacing around in a fowl mood all night, even when Kona is lounging on the floor.  Not that he lounges around all that often.

I feel bad sometimes knowing we crate Kona while we're at work, but then I think of the destruction he has caused.  I'll try to add pictures later if I remember, but he started eating the futon.  A co-worker of the husband has the same dog, a redbone coonhound, who is a 2 year old 80 lb menace and who we most recently heard ate a brick. Yes, a brick. How that is even remotely digestible, I have no idea...but if that's any indication of what kind of mischief Kona can get into, then I'm glad he's locked up when we can't watch him.  I need a vacation away from my dogs I think. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment