Thursday, June 21, 2012

...here is the deepest secret nobody knows...

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)


e e cummings 

in college i took a literary poetry class where all we did was read poems and interpret the underlying messages and meanings.  i think it was my favorite class.  i took it originally as a gpa booster knowing i could easily get an A in it (much like purposefully taking the spanish placement test in such a way that i'd only end up in spanish 2).  but really it taught me to appreciate and understand the power of words and the gravity of the emotions and meanings behind and underlying those words.  most people don't realize that even by the way they string words together, the way they phrase their thoughts into words, how they say something is often laced with the emotions they are feeling which will in turn affect the emotions of the person they're speaking to.  certainly we can all pick up when someone is excited, sad, angry, etc just by the smallest inflections in the voice. but during this era of non verbal communication through email, text, online chats those feelings can become lost.  theres so much miscommunication because the way one person intends something may not be the manner the other receives it.  you really have to be careful about the way you word things.  thats how people get hurt.  sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment