Thursday, February 17, 2011

Things that make me go, hmm...Armageddon via Comet Elenin

"The government don't want you to know about it cuz they scared!"...."It's all lies, the government made it all up!"...."They're not talking about it in the news yet but Google it!"..."They're keeping it a secret, but..."

I've heard them all. Armageddon, Doomsday, The End of the World, The Ultimate Showdown....whatever you call it, the existence of the world will cease through some cataclysmic event that is bound to happen sometime in the near future, certainly within our own lifetimes.  We're all bound to end up at some kind of gate in the end...be it Heaven or Hell.  But what will inevitably cause that end?  I'm on the boat called "I hope its old age and not something you idiots are trying to scare me with"    Everything in my logical mind screams, "you all are crazy!", and I sit back and shake my head.  However, it does spark interest in my creative mind to follow such nonsense.

I don't go searching for these things, I don't need to. I have a coworker so deeply embedded into the fabric of the conspiracy world I hear about some new "big government secret" almost weekly.  He is particularly interested in astro-paranormal weather effects.  Having studied meteorology in college 30 years ago, he's who I refer to for my weather concerns, since he's usually right.  But when he starts talkin' stars...I'm not sure where he gets his information. 

This week its Comet Elenin.  The comet that will supposedly come within 0.15 au of Earth sometime in October March of this year!!! <note heavy sarcasm> "Scientists" have forcasted some serious action...including the biggest doozy of them all: pole reversal and/or earth's ceasing to rotate.  With the earth suddenly at a stand still, there will be massive volcanic eruptions, earth crumbling quakes, and land consuming tsunamis. Who knows, maybe the lost city of Atlantis will be found! All in all it ends with maybe a few million survivors, maybe no one survives...

The thing with these theories is its always somehow based on real life events that are occurring every day.  Some of them are a little odd...sinkholes for one baffle me. And they keep appearing all around the world.  Record storms, spikes in volcano activity, and earthquakes in distant faults that have long been forgotten...  Add in an article about Yellowstone taking a "deep breath" before some ultimate explosion (because Yellowstone actually IS a giant volcano), causing the land to rise several inches...and Old Faithful perhaps not being so faithful anymore, and I can see how it's easy to fall into the hype.

So, buying into it just a teeny bit this time around...hello end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment