Thursday, February 24, 2011

Increasing the "Aww" factor, baby style.

Gotta love office birthdays.  If it's not free lunch, its treats. But today was special, a birthday and a baby shower.  The birthday, although special, was nothing different than the standard office birthday crowding around the kitchen pretending we all don't want a slice of that fluffy grocery store cake knowing after everyone walks out we'll each slink our way back to sneak a piece. 

However, despite an office full of women, a baby shower is a rarity which draws all the women to hover around to envy the mom-to-be of her new baby outfits and toys.  I don't know about you but I certainly can't help but have my own Lily Aldrin "but sock" moment when the baby socks get passed around with little monkeys.


How I Met Your Mother - Season 4: Not a Father's Day, Drunk Lily(in case you haven't seen it, here it is)
(horrid quality, and it cuts off in a bad spot but it's all I could find on my first youtube search)

Today one of the men sprung for lunch, not in honor of Mom-to-Be but in honor of reproduction around the world.  It was a nice gesture, and a tasty meal.  While waiting for the food to arrive, I sauntered over to the kitchen in an attempt to abate my hunger with some of the other tasty treats ruminating on the counter.  As I walked in, some of the other women were admiring the decorations and commenting on the cute packages we all took time to wrap with pretty pink bows and purple tulle.  I grabbed a cracker and one of them turned to me and said "You need to have a baby now."

Ok, I'll get right on that. <wink>...is what I should have said.  Instead, I shoved a cheese topped cracker in my mouth as my eyes doubled in size searching the room and tried to think of what to say to that strange comment.  It took me by surprise, though it shouldn't have considering I've been bombarded with all sorts of baby making insinuations from the day my cousin's daughter was born.  "It's your turn!!" has been spat at me more than enough times to count.  So needless to say, my surprise was a surprise in itself.  It's probably because I never got it from anyone at work before.  Certainly not that bluntly put either.  

Lets just say this now..I do want kids.  But most days, I can wait.  That's what the puppy is good for.

I'm sure I mentioned the pink.  The mom-to-be is having a girl, so everything is pink.  All of the cute adorable dresses, and footies, and onesies, and bathrobes, and burp cloths given today were pink.  All except mine.  I figured there was going to be more than enough pink, so I bought the cutest purple sweater with bright flowery pants, and a yellow and green onesie/pantset that proudly sported 'Mommy's Little Girl' across the front.  One of my coworkers made the comment that if we had not known who gave what, her guess would have been that I gave the yellow and purple outfits.  Apparently, I'm known as 'shoe girl' because of my collection of bright shoes...so who else but 'shoe girl' would give the baby bright outfits? 

Bright outfits a la Shoe Girl

How cute! I suppose I could have gone a more classic route with pink and cute little monkeys and ducks, but where's the fun in that?  A couple of genius ideas others have given:  a big piggy bank and a "big brother" present which consisted of a couple books and a pack of m&m's.  The woman this shower was for has a son who is I think 5-6 years old.  So, I thought it was an extremely thoughtful gift to also give the older sibling something as well.  I'll have to steal it the idea for the next baby shower...which, considering how many people I know that are pregnant right now...could be any day now. 

1 comment:

  1. Baby showers and weddings always have that person that says "you're next!".... I always tell them to invite me to the next funeral they attend so I can say the same thing to them.

    ReplyDelete