Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I heart space heaters

In a world, where half the planet tilts away from the sun for a quarter of the year and people inhabit areas outside of the Tropic lines, there exists the space heater.  It comes in widely varying sizes and designs, with anywhere from a simple on button to multiple settings and programs.  It can be electric powered or gas powered, but either way, its use is the same.  To bring the joy of the sun to those wrapped in the darkness of the bitter cold.  When the sun disappears at 4pm, so does the it's warm, loving rays.  Oh, curse the short, icy cold days...  My gladness during these hibernation inducing months comes from hot chocolate, cuddly sweaters, fluffy throw blankets, and space heaters. 

Huddled under the patio heater, and still cold.
As we rapidly approach the shortest day of the year, I can't help but notice it's somewhat abnormally colder than I seem to remember in my many 20some odd years of Decembers.  At least, sub-zero temperatures with the wind chill certainly feel colder than normal this winter.  Not that 30°F is warm when compared to other locales only several hundred miles south of home but for winter here, it could, in fact, be considered rather balmy. On the bright side, no need to dream of a white Christmas...there's snow on the ground, more snow to come, and freezing temperatures all through until Christmas. 

*For some reason I noticed I had started rhyming in my next paragraph, so I edited it and it became a poem...*  Cold Winter Untitled

I gaze out the window, and what do I see?
Sun and skies of blue, but it's not yet 3. 
The ground covered in a blanket of white. 
The sun reflecting off it, making things bright. 
But don't be fooled, it's ever so cold. 
To venture out there you'd have to be bold. 
Winter's grip around folks, all bundled and grim.
Chimneys smoking, as lights cling to roof trims. 
Just next to this window, it's abundantly clear,
The bitter cold is something to fear.
So the space heater is on, and warming my feet.
Christmas songs are playing, and I rock to the beat.
With my cubicle all toasty and warm
The Christmas cheer here is all in good form.
So Merry Christmas, I'll say to your ear,
And have a full and Happy New Year!

I love you space heater, you keep me warm in this cold cold office.  When I leave work I will dread that short bitter walk to my car in the frozen wasteland of a parking lot, but while I'm working, I am comfortable.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment